Tuesday, February 15, 2011

iLife

I hope everybody enjoyed their Valentine’s day. Today I was in training for iLife and how to use it in the classroom. I think this is a great tool and now am totally convinced that my next purchase has to be Mac. I can’t wait to use this in the classroom and teach teachers how creating can be part of summarizing and demonstrating what students have learned in the classroom. There are so many ways that it can be used in the classroom. For example, teachers can use this for a science experiment. During the spring when classes learning about metamorphosis with caterpillars. The students can build their lab report on a podcast. They could use a Flip camera and make a film using iMovie. There are endless possible to give students the opportunity to show what they are capable of. I think what I liked the most is that there will be times when students will be able to do more tricks than we, the teachers, can do. Last week, I was working on creating an iMovie through PhotoBooth with third graders. I was looking under the “Effects” option, but couldn’t figure out how to go back to the ‘Normal’ screen and one of the students that came to me showed me. I was impressed; these kids know and need the opportunity to make that connection between the cool technology device and what they have learned in the classroom. The kids were making films about static electricity and I would ask questions about the project their group made and other groups. Majority of the students could answer me correctly. Even if it wasn’t their project, they knew enough to demonstrate learning.
So ok, there are these cool devices to be used, but the teachers don’t want to use it. The main reasons I get is “Oh, I don’t know how to use that” or “There isn’t time for that.” I guess my greatest challenge now is how can I teach the teachers without being the one that comes into the classroom in order for the technology to be used.

2 comments:

  1. Jessica, I get really excited about these new technologies like you, and seeing as how we are adults, can you only imagine how the students feel getting to use these “cool” tools in the classroom. They are exciting, encouraging, and most importantly they are learning devices. I wish more teachers would use these types of tools in their classrooms as well and I have heard some of the same excuses you have. I feel like with the way technology is growing schools need to do their part to take a bigger interest in it. Perhaps they could use a portion of a professional development day and dedicate to technology trainings so people like you are I could go in and train teachers on how to use different types of software. Or, if you already work in a school or school district, perhaps, set up certain time slots either during the day and/or right after school where teachers can come and learn these great tools. I think it’s our job to start trying to promote these tools and maybe little by little more and more teachers will begin to understand and really start making engaging use of the technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that students were teaching you technology in the classroom! I don't believe that we as teachers know all the answers. I don't believe that we have to know all the answers. I like to tell my students--"I don't know, I'll find out, Let's look it up?, What do you think? I think we have to abolish the old classroom motto that teachers are the experts and that students are the learners. It should actually be a much more cyclical process where learning is constantly flowing both ways. I am getting ready to teach an animation class--I am not an animator. I can help the students set up the camera and teach them the basics of the software, but I'm not good at editing or adding sound. But, I have learned it doesn't matter because there's always a student in the room that knows how--wants to show off their knowledge--and in the process they become the teacher too in the classroom. I think that creating an atmosphere of critical learning and collaboration is super important in any classroom and teaching with technology is just so conducive to this model. And, yes, Macs are the best!

    ReplyDelete